• What is special about the GS TESOL program?
    The GS TESOL at HUFS was created to address the critical need for effective and progressive EFL teacher-training and content development within the Asia-Pacific region. Accordingly, the GS TESOL aspires to provide students with a solid foundation in TESOL theory, lesson and course design. Students are given the opportunity to fulfill their credit requirements with a wide variety of electives.

  • How many courses/credits do I need to graduate?
    To graduate, students need 28 credits. Each course is worth 2 credits, with the exception of the portfolio/thesis which is worth 4 credits.

  • Where do I take the courses, and what do I need?
    All courses are taught within the Graduate Building on HUFS' Imun-dong campus in Seoul.  In addition, many courses have supplemental online components that require a computer with Internet access.

  • Do I need to have taken prior courses or a degree in education?
    No. Although such experience or academic qualifications are preferred, they are not required for admission.

  • How much is tuition?
    Tuition is calculated on a per semester basis. Please contact the GS TESOL administrative office for the most current tuition fees (in Korean Won).

  • Is a portfolio or thesis required to graduate?
    Yes. To graduate from the GS TESOL program, students will need to complete either a portfolio or a thesis (not both). The portfolio is typically completed by the end of the second year of study and includes a presentation in front of a panel of faculty members. The thesis is a more intensive endeavor that first requires approval of a proposal, followed by assignment to an appropriate faculty advisor, before research can begin. The thesis also requires an additional semester for completion.

  • How long can I take to complete the Master of TESOL?
    Students are typically expected to complete the degree in two years (with the portfolio option) or two and a half years (with the thesis option). However, if unforeseen issues arise, students may take up to five years to complete their degree.

  • How do I know which books I will need for each course, and how do I get them?
    Once registered, a student can log into HUFS' main website (hufs.ac.kr) where all personal information, course schedules, syllabuses, and textbook information is displayed.

  • When is the deadline for applying to the GS TESOL program?
    Prospective students applying to the program need to send their application, along with all relevant documents, to the GS TESOL office no later than November 26.  Once a student has submitted a complete application, he/she will be informed of an interview date and time.

  • What kinds of student qualifications are recommended?
    Applications are accepted from students of all backgrounds.  However, preference is typically given to those who have a background in education and/or teaching experience.

  • Can I defer my admittance to the GS TESOL for a semester/year?
    Yes.  Students can defer their admittance for a total of one year.  However, students should be aware that the curriculum of the GS TESOL follows a sequential path.

  • When does the academic semester begin?
    The first semester of the academic year begins during the first week of March; the second semester begin during the last week of August. Each semester consists of sixteen weeks.

  • When are classes typically scheduled?
    Classes in the GS TESOL are offered on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from either 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm, or from 8:10 pm to 9:40 pm.

  • What is the study workload like?
    Past and current students have typically commented that the study workload is quite intense. Although instructors and content of courses vary, students can expect to study a minimum of 2 hours per week per class, in addition to assignments and other homework.

  • How many courses am I expected to take per semester?
    A normal course load is 4 courses per semester, which seems to be an optimal number due to students' job responsibilities. However, some students have taken as few as 3 courses and as many as 5 courses per semester.

  • What happens if I get sick/injured and am unable to study?
    It is the student's responsibility to contact their professors as soon as possible.  The GS TESOL has a strict policy of requiring official medical certificates (doctor's notes, etc.) for any missed work; academic penalties may apply.

  • Can I transfer any previous graduate-level work to the GS TESOL?
    Quite unlikely. As the curriculum is structured so that all courses lead to a well-rounded education, it is in the best interests of the student to do GS TESOL program's full requirements.

Login Form